mobile minis/ Re: XH558 - was Re: using new technology etc

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jan 1 22:19:59 CST 1970

On 2015-Jun-19, at 9:07 AM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:

> Bringing this topic full circle, does anyone know if any minicomputers
> (DEC PDP-8s or 11s, DG Novæ, HP 21XXs, et cetera) were ever used on
> aircraft? Not transported by one, but I mean setup and used on one.

Another example of shipboard use:

Quote from  HP Measure Oct 1976:
	One of the first 2116As sold is still being used aboard a research vessel operated
	by Woods Hole Institute of Oceanography in Massachusetts, which has purchased
	at least a dozen other HP computers since then. The original one still works like a
	charm ten years later-even though it's been bounced around, loaded and unloaded
	and exposed to the corrosive salt air.

"One of the first 2116As" would place this at 1966-1967.

A pic here shows it being craned onto the ship.
	http://hpmemoryproject.org/news/tenyears_comp/measure_page_00.htm