searching for a set of RL02 slides

Ben Franchuk bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Fri Apr 1 13:48:33 CST 2005

Michael Sokolov wrote:

> So how would you deal with the fact that a tropical year will *never*
> divide evenly into days no matter how you twist and turn it?
Have the odd days as extra days off. The week is more the standard
than days.

> In my calendar I've addressed this problem at its root: instead of starting
> with the day as the basic unit and trying to pack days into years like other
> calendars do (doomed to failure because of the above), I start with the year
> as the basic unit (actual astronomically determined tropical years starting
> at Ostara, the vernal equinox), divide the year into dates mathematically
> (without regard to actual solar days), and then *map* days to dates as a
> separate function.

  Lets not forget the fact that the LUNAR calendar also is thrown in for good
measure too for most of the special days.

> MS

Now back on topic, is Stonehendge a computer or not for calculating things?
PS. I would start year 1 of any new calendar from when a self-sustaning space
habitat is formed.