what's missing in this vax780?

Mike Cesari mcesari at comcast.net
Sat Apr 2 17:33:41 CST 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Heinz Wolter wrote:

> ePay item# 5764980327 in case this stupid search link doesn't work
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&category=1479&item=5764980327&rd=1
> there are two blocks of slots empty - had the memory been stripped?
> Looks like the console 11 is intact..aren't there supposed to be rx02's
> somewhere?
> nice spelling!
> "
> DEC DITIGAL CI 3 NODE, SWITCH MODEL #11780-FE USED
> DITIGAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION CI 3 NODE, SWITCH USED
>
> MODEL #11780-FE  SN :  FX03049  Hz 60  VOLTS  120/ 208   3 PH  AMP
> 24PH
> 4W+G    LISTED  EDP  EQUI.   708A    NFPA    TYPE  2
>
> WAS BUILT  1/10 /84 ,USED ,DO NOT KNOW IF UNIT WORKS. FOR PAYMENT
> WETAKE
> BUSINESS CHECKS ,CASHIERS CHECKS ,MONEY ORDERS AND PAYPAL.WE WILL SHIP
> THIS
> ITEM VIA. MOTOR FRIEHT OR THE BUYER CAN PICK UP THE ITEM AT OUR
> LOCATION
> .THE  WIEGHT IS APPROX. 500-1000 LBS."

The memory frame looks to be an MS780E. There are 3 cards in the
center: Left
memory ctlr., SBI interface, and right memory ctlr. There are 8 memory
cards
(four on each side) either 1 MB or 4MB each.

The single RX01 is mounted face up on the lower right of the photo. On
the lower
left (top to bottom) are battery backups for the memory and the TOD
clock with
the 11/03 console at the bottom.

I can't see everything, but a CI780 and RH780 are visible. There should
also be
a DW780 (unibus adapter) between the cpu and memory frames (hiding
behind one of
the covers).

It appears as if the left side panel is missing. You'd have to ask the
seller if
all the cables and unibus expansion cabinet is included.

$1500 is a bit much without disk and tape drives. And the star coupler
and hsc50, to boot.

Mike