Collect all Macs? was Re: Mac OS 9.1 now a free download

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 4 16:35:44 CDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005 5:43 AM, John Allain <allain at panix.com> wrote:
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > > Which model? I can check to see if I have the Apple restore CD for it.
> >
> > Not sure, due to lack of paper info, but the "blue/clear tower".
> > I hope "format disk" is included on most CD's.
>
> Nice machine. Around 350-400MHz G3, 100MHz FSB, ATI Rage128 graphics.
> Runs classic MacOS up to the final 9.2.2 and OS X up to and including
> Panther (10.3) and
> probably Tiger (10.4). If it has enough RAM - and I think it'll take
> standard PC100 SDRAM

Be careful!  All Macs up to and including the Grey G4 towers (and perhaps
newer) require low-density SDRAM.  These can be deceptively difficult to
find unless you keep your eyes open.  I can tell you from experience that
newer PC100/PC133 memory will not work reliably, if the machine even boots
at all.

For 256M, at least, the correct modules will have chips on both sides.

Steve