MFM/RLL data recovery

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Apr 4 18:36:03 CDT 2005

At 02:57 PM 4/4/2005 -0700, you wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:21 -0500, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > > Now, I'm either doing something wrong or all these drives are dead.
> > > I am using a floppy cable with a twist in it and a 20-pin data cable.
>On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Jules Richardson wrote:
> > I don't remember ever using a twisted cable with a hard disk, only with
> > floppy drive (and then only in the PC world). I think both control /
> > data cables should just be straight through.
>
>IBM used a twisted cable with their hard disks - in order to avoid having
>to explain "Drive Select" jumpers to their [Computerland level] dealers.
>
>The hard drive cable twist is NOT the same twist as for floppies!

Amen brother! Get a straight-thru cable and jumper the drive for DS0

[Computing] "Unix has been feverishly evolving for over 20 years,
sort of like bacteria in a cesspool, only less attractive." --Unix for
Dummies
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531