OT: Removing Electrolytic cap residue

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 06:32:16 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 00:58 -0700, Eric Smith wrote:
> Adrian wrote:
> > A friend of mine has a problem with Electrolytic caps on his motherboard
> > having gone "pop" & deposited their contents on some contacts...
> [...]
> > Does anyone know how best to remove dried capacitor electrolyte from a
> > surface?
>
> I don't know, but my solution to this has been to replace the affected
> motherboards.

If the motherboard is "valuable" in some way (containing the right slot
layout for the user, or having a decent BIOS, or onboard SCSI or
something) then one option might just be to replace the damaged PCI
slot.

I've never tried this, but it can't be much harder than snipping a dead
IC from a board, cleaning everything up, and replacing. Either buy a new
PCI socket from a component place, or try removing one from a dead
motherboard. I've never tried the latter (only with ISA sockets) - but a
blowtorch on the underside of the donor board might do the trick without
damaging the PCI slot....

> I'll note that I have never seen this problem with any of my Asus or
> Tyan motherboards

FWIW I've seen it on a couple of dual-CPU Asus boards before now (but
have seen other Asus boards from the same era that have been fine).

cheers

Jules