MFM/RLL

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Tue Apr 5 17:10:00 CDT 2005

On Apr 5 2005, 16:19, Phil Spanner wrote:

> Thought I wouold drop a note regarding the drives. Not only does BIOS
need to be configured (usually by type) but my drives seem to need 2
cables???
> One floppy drive cable should not enable the controller to talk to
the drives at all.

Well, up to a point.  The 34-way cable carries the control signals,
such as the drive selects, head selects, step, write-enable, etc, and
status signals such as ready, track zero, etc.  The 20-way cable
carries only the differential read and write data signals.  Without
that, of course, the controller will never see data from the drive.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager