And $500 gets you...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Apr 6 09:10:24 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 09:01, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > A set of manuals?
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5181524752
> >
> > No, guess again.  There's a reserve on those.
> >
> > Another example of where the Christie's auction helped to make
> > people think that things are worth *way* more than they really are.
>
> I don't know that we can go blaming Christie's for every over-priced
> eBay manual we see from now on (though it may make us feel better to
> do so ;)

Well, they mentioned Christie's in the auction, which is why I
associated the two together...

> > And my favorite quote from his auction:
> > "most of these system were destroyed due to the nature/technology
> > of the system and fear of them getting into the wrong hands"
> >
> > DONT LET THE TERRISTS GET THER HANDS ON TEH BIG COMPOOTERS!!!
> >
> > I'd love to see these people do a little bit of research on stuff
> > they're listing on ebay, instead of just pulling info out of their
> > ass, or what they heard on some cable news network.  At the very
> > least, they could say "I don't know anything about this" instead of
> > making stuff up....
>
> I think these are the same people that were trying to sell the actual
> computer a few weeks ago and were asking for an unlikely sum for that
> too. Even though I explained to them a couple times they should be
> happy if someone offers to take it away without charging them, they
> still insisted on finding a buyer.  Duh.

I wonder if that quote I pasted above (assuming the same seller, which
seems likely) indicates that they finally ended up scrapping the
system.  It'd be sad, but with some people, it seems sanity is quite a
ways off...

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/