And $500 gets you...

William Donzelli aw288 at osfn.org
Wed Apr 6 19:52:43 CDT 2005

> 2) Looking at *only* the final bid price to determine value is stupid!
>    My general rule of thumb is to go back to the third highest bidder as
>    that eliminates the "game players" who bid with the "Oh yea, take
> this"
>    mentality.

Correct. Once you start to really look at the price distibution over
several sales, you get a more accurate idea of the price. Ebay still
fetches a good buck for many things, but not every sale goes thru the
roof. Far from it - if they did, I would be a happy man.

On a side, and related note, I have pretty much outgrown mocking clueless
sellers about trying to get way too much for their wares. They are just
that - clueless. We have a clue about what the stuff is worth, but on the
flip side, we as a group have little to no clue about other antiques and
collectables. For example, think about this - if some old Aunt of yours
died and left you a collection of Llardo figurines, Roman pottery, or
antique 19th century medicine bottles, I bet most of us would start
getting dollar signs in our eyes. Clueless!

Give it up, guys...

William Donzelli
aw288 at osfn.org