New owner of a Sun 3/80

Jeff Davis jdaviscl2 at soupwizard.com
Fri Apr 8 00:15:53 CDT 2005

Hi, I just picked up a Sun 3/80 chassis from the local university surplus. It
looked lonely sitting there.  It's dusty inside but appears to work (checked
console via serial port).  Has a floppy, 8MB memory, no hard drive, and a dead
NVRAM.  I'll consult the various faq's on the web about the NVRAM, and maybe
drill some mounting holes for a hard drive (didn't come with a hd carrier, and
I can't find any).

I'll run it headless with netbsd, since I don't have room for another monitor.

I don't know much about the Sun 3 series though - most of what I see from a
google search is about the 3/50 and 3/60's.  Is the 3/80 an ignored bastard
child from sun?  A 68030 in a pizzabox, not a classic Sun 3, but not a Sparc
either?

Are the hd carriers hard to come by?

Thanks,
Jeff