New owner of a Sun 3/80

Fri Apr 8 00:20:21 CDT 2005

> I don't know much about the Sun 3 series though - most of what I see
> from a google search is about the 3/50 and 3/60's.  Is the 3/80 an
> ignored bastard child from sun?

Somewhat, but not nearly so much so as the 386i. :-)

> A 68030 in a pizzabox, not a classic Sun 3, but not a Sparc either?

Right.  I've seen it said that the 3/80 was Sun hedging their bets.
They were betting that the SPARC would take off.  But they weren't
quite ready to bet everything on it, so they did the 3/80 at about the
same time - you may note how singularly similar the 3/80 is in sokme
respects (such as case style) to the early SPARCstations.

> Are the hd carriers hard to come by?

Can't help you much there.  I don't think I've ever owned a -3/80.  I
have a rather fuzzy memory from when I worked with them that the drive
sleds were the same as for the SS1 and SS1+, but that could very well
be wrong.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca