Unix on old-ish machines - advice sought

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:49:33 CDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 1:45 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Liam Proven wrote:
>
> > I don't suppose there's anywhere online with a very simple illustrated
> > step-by-step guide on how to do this, is there? My IPX is dead, I can
> > just about solder without burning myself - on a good day - and I'd
> > love to fix it.
>
> http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

Wow! Excellent, thankyou. I was going on the info from obsolyte.com
before, which says there's no way except to replace the chip.

OTOH, the doc to which you refer does say he doesn't think it's worth
it, and given the complexity of reprogramming the NVRAM alone, I am
inclined to agree.

Anyone want a free SPARCstation IPX? I think it's an IPX. Lunchbox
type, as they call it. I need its keyboard & mouse but I can provide a
21" mono monitor as well... I also have a bag of 4MB 9-pin parity
SIMMs for it, which I've never got round to installing, to take its
RAM up to 48MB or so, which I think it the max it will take.

Located in London, England. Mitcham, Surrey, to be precise.

--
Liam Proven
Home: http://welcome.to/liamsweb * Blog: http://lproven.livejournal.com
AOL, Yahoo UK: liamproven * ICQ: 73187508 * MSN: lproven at hotmail.com