battery desoldering advice

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Fri Apr 8 13:29:45 CDT 2005

I need to replace the battery in an item I have. It's the quartersized/style
one. The way it is attached to the board, is via a clip arrangement that
you'd swear makes the battery removable. However, it is in fact soldered or
spot welded into the clip somehow. As a result, I'd rather not just cut the
clip arms to replace the battery as I'd have trouble getting the new one in.

The only possibility I see is unsoldering the clip from the battery, but it
strikes me as a rather bad idea to put a soldering iron to a battery.
Suggestions?

Jay West