Free Sun3 workstations

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 04:52:02 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 03:48 -0400, Ethan Dicks wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2005 5:22 PM, Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > ...3/60 looks to be nice and healthy
>
> Cool.  I have a 3/60 in the basement, with color frame buffer.  ISTR I
> checked it out via serial console and that was fine.

This one has the colour framebuffer, too. Works just fine - I tried it
on the Sun 4/330 though but get a blank screen there unfortunately (I
was hoping that whilst the 4/330 has bust serial hardware it might still
drive a framebuffer ok and allow us to use that as console).

Not checked the 4/330 for jumpers to force it to use the framebuffer yet
(if it has any), nor plugged a keyboard in (maybe it needs to detect a
keyboard before it'll swap over to using any framebuffer for output).
Possible that the system ROMs don't contain any framebuffer code of
course (they're not labelled as Sun parts) or that this 3/60's
framebuffer is simply incompatible with the 4/330 anyway...

>  It's been
> sitting for a couple of years, waiting for me to get around to
> finishing a Sun3/Sun4 keyboard/mouse adapter.

It's the little things that always take the time!

> that's done, I have to track down a SunOS kit.  I _think_ I have a
> 4.0.3 kit or something similar on QIC tape.  If 4.1.3_U1 still works
> on a 3/60, I can probably borrow that locally on CD-ROM.

I think our 3/60 is running 4.1.1.
It came with a bunch of tapes, a couple of which are marked as being
4.1.1 OS install - but they're copies and one is marked as being
possibly bad. I'll try backing them up to my desktop sometime though;
with a known-good and cleaned tape drive maybe they'll read OK.

cheers

Jules