Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Apr 12 21:26:50 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> On 4/12/05, Vintage Computer Festival <vcf at siconic.com> wrote:
> > I can't remember what the software I used was called, but I think I still
> > have it somewhere and  can check.  It came with a special double-headed
> > cable though, and unless that cable was just a simple Y-split, I don't
> > know if making one from scratch would be feasible.
>
> The physical cable used with HP line analysers is a simple Y-split -
> 25-position ribbon cable, two DB25F and one DB25M (or the other way
> round... can't quite remember).  You can wedge the cable between two
> devices, then attach the free end to the HP pod (or just plug a DB25
> cable right from one unit direct to the pod if you are using the HP to
> originate or consume bits)
>
> What I'm not sure of is if the HP pod has anything special in the way
> of drivers/receivers to keep from loading the line as it monitors
> things.  I could open up a pod and see what's inside...

I have limited experience with this as I only tried it once, but when I
did I noticed that either one or the other computer was greedy and took
all the bits for itself, and the other computer didn't get any signal, so
I always assumed you needed some sort of "special" cable in order to split
an RS-232 signal.