Navtel 9460 Protocol Analyzer info?

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 13 22:50:15 CDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:57:51 -0400
Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/13/05, Scott Stevens <chenmel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > (not gonna wire two 6402 UARTS to my SYM-1 and make
> > it a serial analyzer on principle, though)
>
> How about one Z8530?  :-)  [it's a DUART, for the Zilog-impaired]

The 8530 is a useful part for dedicated purposes, but isn't it severely
bandwidth cramped?  I am thinking that it's the serial chip in the
Sparcstations, correct me if I'm wrong.  A few years ago I was pondering
making a 'dialup connecting system with NAT server' out of a
SparcStation Classic (the little lunchbox type Sparc).  I discovered
quickly that the serial ports on the Sparc are VERY speed constrained
because of the 8530 chip.  It would have been impossible to connect my
USB Courier V-everything modem to it at, say 57,600 baud, because the
8530 just plain won't go that fast.