Identify this IBM box?

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 21:19:25 CDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:28:36 -0500 (CDT)
JP Hindin <jplist at kiwigeek.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Ashley Carder wrote:
> > north of Orangeburg, where the stuff is located.  I
> > can't remember... how heavy is that S/34?  I remember
> > that it was about 4+ feet tall and maybe 6 or 8 feet
> > deep.  I can remember one night when I was playing
>
> Having moved one from Arkansas to Iowa, I can tell you that it isn't a
> task to be taken on lightly. Particularly without a lift-deck.
>
> I'm guessing the unit weighs around 900lbs, is approximately 7' long,
> 3' deep and 4' high.
> The machine is on good quality casters, so it'll roll like a dream,
> but it's extreme weight makes it a royal pain in the butt to move.
>
> If you'd like a chuckle, you can view my attempts to move it using a
> Ford F150, a winch and a pair of lawnmower ramps:
> 	http://www.kiwigeek.com/hjp/comps/IBM_s34/PickUp/

About a year ago I didn't bid on a forklift that sold at a local
municipal auction.  It sold for $2 because nobody else bid on it either.
 It needed new batteries but otherwise was probably fine.  I don't have
any sort of flat cement surface to use it on, in addition to other
reasons I didn't bid on it.  It'd be useful for the scale of CC museum
operation that operates out of a poured cement floor building (I have a
gravel driveway, and a garage infested with mice)