TCF goodies

David Comley david_comley at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 07:46:22 CDT 2005

It did seem to be mostly PC stuff and rackmount
servers, neither of which interest me particularly. I
was there from about 11.00am onwards. However there
were some other bits and pieces buried in amongst the
new stuff.

Was it me or was there a really *bad* smell in the air
? Anyway in spite of the smell I came away with quite
a bit of gear. I have questions on these items which I
will post separately.

DEC Professional 350 – no monitor or keyboard. When I
inspected the unit at home I noticed the screws from
the PSU cover are missing so I hope that doesn’t mean
someone has been interfering with it. The unit is
otherwise complete and appears to contain an RD51
drive (10MB) and the monochrome graphics option. I
haven't tried powering it up yet - the missing screws
on the PSU cover bother me enough that I want to poke
around at it first before applying power.

HP-9134A 5MB disc unit. These things are ancient. I
have been looking for something like this to replace
my HP7908 which is still languishing in the corner
with power supply problems.

Charles River Data Systems Universe/68 computer,
badged as a Datapoint system.  This is about the size
of a MicroPDP-11/73 (perhaps a little fatter). In
addition to the CRDS  Universe subrack, the chassis
houses a lot of terminal I/O ports and an 8” floppy
drive on the front. There’s a SASI interface connector
on the back for mass storage.

Zia Tech ZT 488 GPIB Analyzer. I have had a CS/80 disc
emulator project for Linux on my to-do list for some
time. Perhaps this will get me moving on it.

A couple of ½” tapes for my 9-track drive. Always
useful.

Books – a couple of National databooks from the mid
70’s; a 1970 System/360 JCL book; a book about
repairing music synthesizers and a Springer-Verlag
publication “Computer Architecture”, 1975.

I passed  on two Televideo 925 keyboards. I also
passed on what appeared to be an IC test system. It
had dozens of test cards corresponding to DTL/TTL
devices of yesteryear, and a test slot where you'd
presumably drop in the test chip. Looked like fine but
was rather large. I forget who the manufacturer was.

Regards,

Dave