Dead Mac IIcx

Philip Pemberton philpem at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Apr 20 12:35:45 CDT 2005

In message <1gvb8ln.8vexidgenpdsM%tlindner at ix.netcom.com>
          tlindner at ix.netcom.com (tim lindner) wrote:

> Also I took a close look at the motherboard. It has 7 silver cans.
> Capacitors I think. They are all surounded by a thin layer of sticky
> goo. Is this a sure sign my caps have leaked?
>
> <http://home.netcom.com/~tlindner/temp/DeadIIcx.jpg>

They're tin-can SMD electrolytics, and are renowned for their ability to
begin leaking with little provocation. Clean the affected board area with a
suitable solvent and a stiff brush, then replace the caps.

Later.
--
Phil.                              | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
philpem at philpem.me.uk              | ViewFinder, 10BaseT Ethernet, 2-slice,