tube technology and EMP

Dwight K. Elvey dwight.elvey at amd.com
Thu Apr 21 13:52:38 CDT 2005

Hi
 There is a process for CMOS call RAD hardening. It is
a process of exposing the CMOS to radiation for a period
of time. It reduces the efficiency of the transistors
but they don't degrade as fast ( comparatively ) once
this is done.
 As far as solid state goes, silicon is a limiter. Other
semiconducting materials can work at higher temperatures.
Toyota has worked out a way to produce large quantities
of defect free silicon-carbide. This can be used to make
transistors that can be run at several hundred degrees
C. This is of course interesting to them because they
like to have high power transistors for electric cars.
 Another material that hasn't been used to much is
diamond. This is one of the best material to make
transistors from since it has such good thermal properties.
There are still a lot of processing problem to work
out for this to be of much use. They already have the
ability to create diamond films.
Dwight