Microfiche scanning

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 21 20:06:51 CDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:21:51 -0400
"James Fogg" <James at jdfogg.com> wrote:

> > > Am I right in thinking that a home flatbed scanner has
> > absolutely no
> > > hope of providing the resolution needed to scan microfiche?
>
> I used to work for the Terminal Data Corp. We manufactured fiche
> cameras, including the one that made the original DEC fiche. We also
> manufactured a fiche scanner that output via SCSI to a workstation or
> Dataproducts high speed laserprinter. There aren't many dedicated
> fiche scanning products made, but the TDC was one of the few.

The firm I worked for from aprox. 1978-84 produced microfiche direct
from data on computer tape.  One of the types of camera we used actually
contained a PDP-8 as it's embedded computer.  I believe they were
PDP-8/e's.

Now I feel like a 'villan' for being one of the fiends who trapped all
that data ON the fiche that everybody is trying to liberate it from now.