Microfiche scanning

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 20:41:53 CDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:02:14 -0500
Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Second, it's much easier - for me at least - to flip through a PDF
> than it is to flip through microfiche.  Right now, I don't have a
> fiche viewer at home (despite the DEC MDS fiche I now have) so I have
> to make a trip to the library to view it.  It's much easier to print
> out a few pages of a PDF (or all of it) and bring it with me to look
> at, than it is to haul around a microfiche reader...

I picked up a portable microfiche viewer at auction last summer.  it's
about the size of a thick loose-leaf notebook cover, though heavier.
(also got about 25 years of a half dozen popular magazines on fiche in
the same lot at that auction, all for $5 including the reader)  There
are VERY portable fiche readers in existence.  And conventional readers
sell for fairly low prices on eBay.