Power always on, or power on/off

Randy McLaughlin cctech at randy482.com
Sat Apr 23 20:33:38 CDT 2005

From: "William Donzelli" <aw288 at osfn.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 8:22 PM

>> So what is the opinion of the group? Leave it on, or shut it off?
>>
>> (and I hope I'm not starting a long flaming thread)
>
> Not flames, but heat.
>
> I have found that things that are prperly designed regarding cooling work
> better when left on.
>
> You will pretty much have to determine what is best for each equipment on
> a case by case basis.
>
> William Donzelli
> aw288 at osfn.org

It always depends on each case.  If you only use something occasionally then
turn it off, if it sits for long enough expect problems to bring it up.

I left one of my NorthStar Horizons off for over a year and I had two
tantalum caps go, one on the RAM board was easy to spot, the one that blew
on the MB was half hidden by a large heatsink and took me a while to spot.
It would be ridiculous to leave it on unused for months at a time.

Larger computers (big iron) can be much more difficult to get back up and
running once it has set for long enough.

Randy
www.s100-manuals.com