End of Surplus?

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Tue Apr 26 10:33:16 CDT 2005

 >> Ensuring nothing gets overseas?  Makes no sense.  What DOES make
 >> sense is "if it goes out of the country, look at the export
 >> regulations".  And for surplus equipment that can indeed be
 >> onerous, because it may not be clear what specific rule applies
 >> to, say, a 20 year old Cray, or even a 20 year old Nova.
 >>

 Joe> Hmm. That makes me wonder. I know there were export restrictions
 Joe> on computers in the 60s that covered some of the HP desktop
 Joe> machines like the 9825. I wonder if those are still in
 Joe> effect. Do the restrictions every expire automaticly or do they
 Joe> have to be lifted?  I'm told that HP used to get around the
 Joe> restrictions on computers by calling their machines
 Joe> "calculators".

That trick sounds like a great way to go out of business in a hurry.
Export control people have no tolerance of game playing ...

Anyway (IANAXL) the likely answer is that you'd apply the current
rules, and by the current rules those old machines have no significant
restrictions.

(Note that there "denied parties" that you can't export anything to,
not even pencils...)

    paul