phase converters for big iron

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Thu Apr 28 17:42:39 CDT 2005

Jim wrote:
> If they are switcher power supplies, they tend not to react very nicely
> to having a solid state inverter feed them.

May depend on the switcher.  Many of them just rectify the input, so
they don't really care what the input frequency or waveform is, so long
as it's not too fast for the rectifier.  So many 50/60 Hz switchers work
fine on DC, 400 Hz, "modified sine wave" 50/60 Hz, or even square wave
50/60 Hz.

But the ones that support exactly two voltage ranges (and nothing in
the middle) apparently use a voltage doubler, which won't work on DC,
and I don't know how it will react to higher frequencies or strange
waveforms.

I'm not a power supply expert, but I've definitely run some switchers
on DC or square wave input without problems.  I suppose I'd just
recommend not trying it on a rare, irreplaceable supply.

Eric