PC/Apple/etc. Cards Worth Keeping/Storing

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Fri Apr 29 22:39:55 CDT 2005

Tony Duell wrote:
> There was no separate TechRef for the CGA card. The hardware is covered
> in the normal Options and Adapters Techref.

...which I don't have :)  Oh well, hopefully there's electronic copy somewhere.

> It's supported by the
> standard mainboard BIOS, the source lising of which is in the
> machine-specific techrefs.

I don't have that either, but I've disassembled my own BIOS and found that it
is nearly useless to me -- for example, there are instructions that take longer
to execute out of RAM (4 cycles per byte opcode) than ROM (2 cycles) -- so it's
not so much of "let's optimize what the BIOS code can do" but rather "I need to
come up with a completely different way of doing this".

Which is what I expect a lot of people were doing in the '60s and '70s ;-)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/