Bliss was Re: DEC program listing

Tim Shoppa shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com
Mon Aug 15 19:52:11 CDT 2005

> I've always wondered why the form i + 1 -> i never took off.  I recall
> at least one programming language I looked at that did it this way.

It's the other way around, but in early ASCII standards where we now
have underbar was instead back-arrow.  (And instead of caret there was
up-arrow).  I think the intention was to use it as an assignment operator.

Several of the Model 33 TTY's I've gone through over the years had
the "Early" ASCII character assignments (and had a slashed letter O
and an unslashed number 0).

Tim.