Bliss was Re: DEC program listing

Huw Davies huw.davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Tue Aug 16 09:53:15 CDT 2005

On 16/08/2005, at 10:52 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> It's the other way around, but in early ASCII standards where we now
> have underbar was instead back-arrow.  (And instead of caret there was
> up-arrow).  I think the intention was to use it as an assignment
> operator.

Indeed this was the case. The DECsystem-10 I used to work on had two
line printers, one had underscore, the other had back-arrow. It was
really important to print BLISS-10 code on the right one (and RUNOFF
output on the other - underlining with backarrows was sad :-)

Huw Davies           | e-mail: Huw.Davies at kerberos.davies.net.au
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"