Bit Banger was Analog modem emulator?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 17:51:04 CDT 2005

> That reminds me or another little machine from Motorola.  They
> called it the Educator II (and was the first computer I ever
> owned).  Their cassette interface worked pretty much the same
> way.  They toggled a pin on the PIA in software for a simple
> FM encoding at 110 baud.  Even the receive side was software.

Many microcomputer cassette interfaces are bit-banged. It works quite
well for that application, because you know when data could be coming
from the cassette (the user has executed a LOAD command or whatever it's
called), so you can put the microprocesosr into a loop looking for
transitions on the input pin.

It works less well for linking to a terminal, because you have know idea
when the user is going to press a key :-)