1979 HP Collectors Dream 2649A model computer

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 17 19:26:44 CDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:41:48 -0500
Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:

> Tony Duell declared on Wednesday 17 August 2005 05:29 pm:
> > >
> > > Ehm, well, if I had been correct, I wouldn't have said 'PC', since
> > > a LGP-30 is a 'PC', too, by the terms of its time ;-))
> > > But IBM PC does not say anything about a specific graphics card.
> >
> > You said 'any PC'. OK, I will read 'PC' to mean 'IBM PC compatible
> > computer'. thus rulling out things like LGP-30s, PDP8s, etc. You did
> > not, however, specify a video card. I therefore assumed that any
> > PC-compatible video card would work, and the original IBM MDA card
> > is one such.
> >
> > In other words, a 5150 with an MDA card is a member of the set of
> > 'any PCs'
>
> \pedantic
> You can get "graphics" out of an MDA if you try hard enough.  Lo-res,
> of course (line drawing chars and 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full shaded boxes in
> the 128-255 part of the character set).
>
> Also, an authentic MDA display has green pixels IIRC, so there's your
> colour.  Or did you mean multi-colour? :)

\meta-pedant

What do you mean when you refer to 'an authentic MDA display'?  I ask,
because my original IBM PC Monochrome monitor (bought at the most recent
IUPUI auction where a number of people hecked me for bidding on it **)
can be plugged into an original IBM EGA card and it becomes quite a nice
graphical monitor.  I ran Windows 3.0 on such a combination for a long
while.  (aprox. until I could afford a VGA card and grayscale VGA
monitor).

(** I paid $5 for it, but then also got a Compaq Portable III in the
real leather carrying case for $10 so it wasn't _all_ overpriced.)