Reading DECtapes (was 1/2" tape cleaner?)

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Aug 18 13:46:43 CDT 2005

I think that Al Kossow has lots of experience reading old DECtapes
based on
the good DecTape archives that he has on bitsavers.  Al,  can you share
little of your experience and insight with the rest of us?  How well do
these
things hold up 30-35 years later when they are actually being read and
written to on a TU56?

--

very, very well.

The tapes have redundant track encoding, they are pretty low density,
and the formulation doesn't stick.

I've read tapes from the mid 60's w/o a problem.

I have a bit-level reader with custom read amps coming to deal with
the couple of marginal tapes and LINCtapes that I have.

--

1/2" tapes, on the other hand, are a total PITA.