scanners (was 1/2" tape cleaner?)

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Aug 18 13:55:37 CDT 2005

Along the same line of sharing from AL, can you share with us what
equipment
you use to scan books, manuals, and papers in order to archive them on
bitsavers?

--

Primary scanner is a Ricoh IS520.

B&W up to 400dpi, double sided, 30ppm, handles 11x17 sheets
Built like tanks. I think we have a dozen of them now between
Eric and I. Just found two on eBay for under $300 ea incl
shipping.

SW is windows-based and quirky, but after running a million
or so pages through it you learn to get around the bugs.

I made the decision a long time ago that the data on the pages
was more important than the bindings, so bound docs and books
are disassembled to scan.

If I can find bound docs in poor condition (water damage, etc.)
I'll use those first.

I have a Mustek 11x17 flatbed SCSI scanner for large format or
color scanning.

I also have a Mekel M560 microfiche/aperture card scanner that
I'm just getting up to speed on, and a couple of large format (36")
scanners that I need to get going, and a bunch of 3M microfilm
scanners in storage.