WD 1793 FDCs for sale

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 22 20:10:38 CDT 2005

>Subject: Re: WD 1793 FDCs for sale
>   From: Philip Pemberton <philpem at dsl.pipex.com>
>   Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:18:14 +0100
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
>
>In message <430A56EA.2050907 at bellsouth.net>
>          Glen Goodwin <acme_ent at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Not in my experience.  Surplus, yes -- pulls, no.
>> I've bought lots of fuses and odd transistors from them
>> without problem.
>
>That's been my experience too - I bought some uPD765 FDCs (actually Rockwell
>R6765s, but effectively the same chip) from them a while back. No trace of
>damage to the pins, no solder on them, still the same length they were when
>the chips left the factory, and still splayed out.
>
>Speaking of the 765s, I still need to build an MFM data separator...

If I can ever scan it there is a design I have (NEC apnote) for a
data seperator for FM/MFM that works for any rate and media.  Uses
a prom and a latch (yes a state machine) to do synthetic PLL. Analog
PLLs were causing people too much pain and oneshots perform poorly.

Lacking that if you can find SMC9229 or '39 part that does a lot
of the work for you.

Allison