CP/M 1.0? (was Re: Bit of CP/M trivia needed)

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 29 08:26:17 CDT 2005

>Subject: Re: CP/M 1.0? (was Re: Bit of CP/M trivia needed)
>   From: shoppa_classiccmp at trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa)
>   Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:57:16 -0400
>     To: cctalk at classiccmp.org
>
>> Does anyone have a copy of CP/M 1.0 or know if such a version was ever
>> released?  What about 1.1, 1.2, ... ?
>
>1.3 is the earliest I had.  (And the original floppy is in Don Maslin's
>archives should they ever be recovered.)  I think I remember Don saying
>it was the earliest he'd seen.  He had lots of 2.2 of course for countless
>machines but only a handful of 1.4, 2.0, etc, (and most of those came from
>me too!)
>
>The ones I gave Don were official Digital Research distribution floppies,
>the oldest hand-labeled with a serial number.
>
>I am under the impression that earlier versions were not nearly so
>flexible as regards to customization to a wide variety of machines.
>
>Tim.

The earliest I've worked with was 1.3 and yes, before V2 it was a major task
to get it up and runnning on a new machine as the disk driver portion of the
code was not in the "bios".  When I was at PCC'76 (in NJ) there was a
presentation on CP/M and the discussion was around moving it to new and
different hardware plus comments that V1.4 would be better in that the
basic terminal (CON:, LST,, PUN:, RDR:) would be an easily modified module.

I tried to move V1.4 to a Horizon and it was not a fun task nor was it
fully successful.  It required many hours of dissassembly and plenty of
head scratching on how the disk was wired in.

Allison