OT: "Best" Linux Distro?

Dan Williams williams.dan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 14:16:11 CST 2005

On 01/12/05, Cini, Richard <Richard.Cini at wachovia.com> wrote:
> All:
>

>             I'm thinking of ditching Windows totally on my desktop at home
> as I build my next upgraded x86-bsed PC. So, I wanted to take a poll of the
> group for a recommendation on which Linux distro to use. I downloaded Fedora
> Core, Slackware, FreeBSD, Unbuntu and Linspire.
>

>             Any thoughts from the group?
>

> Rich

I would go with some of the others and say SuSE, It does depend on
what you want it to do. But as a Windows replacement it probably is
the most flexible, It pretty much does plug and play. Although quite a
lot of of files are in different places (and different names). Give it
a go.
If you're not sure download a shit load of live-cd's and try them.
This has the advantage of knowing where you stand with device support.
If it detects your sound card, printer, usb hub etc. with the live-cd
you know you're not going to have spend ages trying to recompile the
kernel or modules and then find out it doesn't work anyway.
I have to say that I have settled on Netbsd myself.....

Dan