OT: "Best" Linux Distro?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Dec 1 15:41:42 CST 2005

At 9:12 PM +0000 12/1/05, Alexey Toptygin wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Jules Richardson wrote:
>
>>Actually, I forgot to mention that I've quite often had people
>>recommend I try Debian over Slackware before. You still get the
>>problem of the Gnome / KDE choice though, I suppose.
>
>There's a lot of window managers out there that don't have the bloat
>problems of Gnome and KDE. I like WindowMaker, but you can get
>AfterStep, fluxbox, icewm, etc.; there's tons available out of the
>box on most distros.

At work I actually use a pre-V1 beta of Afterstep!  I started using
it, when it was current on an RS/6000 running AIX V3.x, and now I'm
using it on SUSE Enterprise Linux.

The sad thing is, that these days, even Motif and 'mwm' are fairly
light weight compared to stuff like Gnome and KDE!

>The only way to win the "Desktop Envoronment" game is not to play :-)

I like this statement, it is pretty much the best description of my
feelings on the subject that I've heard.

At work I now have a really nice fast Linux box, BUT, I need a *LOT*
of RAM for the one application that I run, plus besides that
application all I really need are *lots* of xterm's, XEmac's, and
Firefox.

At home if I'm going to run Linux I'm doing it on fairly slow
hardware these days, and all I'd be running would be SIMH or KLH10,
at which point I don't even really need X-Windows.

As a result, from my point of view, both KDE and Gnome have a hideous
amount of bloat, and I don't need any of it.

			Zane