How to load ADVENT on PDP-8?

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Thu Dec 1 19:12:57 CST 2005

At 04:11 PM 12/1/2005, charlesmorris at direcway.com wrote:
>I have the ADVENT files for PDP-8 (from the diagpack2.RK05 image) but
>it won't run under SIMH (simulator halts on error).
>Does anyone have the load/run instructions?

Since nobody (including me, the developer) seems to have the original
RALF-format source files for OS/8 ADVENT, you've got to be careful to
replicate the environment used to build the .SV file. Normally, the
ADVENT.SV assumes that the files are stored on SYS: - if they're moved
elsewhere, the .SV image won't work. However, it'll generate an error,
not kill the simulator in my experience. Seems to me that there's
something badly wrong with your SIMH or the system running it if you
can't run ADVENT off of Rick Moore's diagnostic RK05..
         -Rick