Do old FPGA's decay?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Dec 1 19:36:52 CST 2005

On 12/1/2005 at 11:13 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:

>Hang on, this thing isn't configured from the host computer is it (e.g.
>by the device dricer loading a bitstream into the chip)? If it is, it
>will appaer totally dead until that program's been run.

Uh huh--no E/EP/ROM on the board at all--just the XC2064 and a bunch of
TTL.  It appears that the device driver loads the bitstream.  Of course, I
don't have and can't locate the device driver.

I think it's time to pull out the soldering iron and get rid of the blasted
thing so I have something that I CAN program.  It seems exceedingly
unlikely that a driver is going to materialize out of the aether at this
point.

Let this be a warning to anyone with a Chi Corporation/Computer Logics
Pertec tape controller--if you don't have the driver, you don't have
anything that can be easily used.  Both the PCTD3 and the PCTD16 use
externally-loaded FPGAs.

Bummer.

Cheers,
Chuck