A heads-up: updated holiday vintage computer buyers guide

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 20:47:22 CST 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 07:47:57 +0000
Dan Williams <williams.dan at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Although the
> > SIO2PC allows you to also take control of a PC's serial modem and
> > parallel ports as well as its floppy, hard disk and networked drives.
> >
> I thought all windows machines connected to the internet pretty much
> came with this as standard ;)

Ah, you'd be surprised how many machines these days are instead provided with singing, dancing, animated cursors and dialogue boxes.  And isn't it a documented goal at Microsoft to completely do away with 'legacy' features like serial and parallel ports?  I remember reading the 'PC 98' or somesuch spec from Microsoft and thinking to myself that to 'upgrade' a motherboard to Microsoft's liking, you get out a dykes and cut off all kinds of headers on the motherboard.

USB is supposed to save the world, etc. etc.  Everything else must disappear.