"Market" for old macs?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Dec 2 18:18:10 CST 2005

On 12/2/2005 at 5:42 PM Jim Leonard wrote:

>simply evil in their cleverness and ingenuity.  King's Quest 2 encrypted
the
>main code with a cypher kept somewhere abnormal (like a 10th sector or
41st
>track, can't remember the exact one) that was transparently missed by
>DISKCOPY:
>you could make a copy without errors, but it wouldn't work... and the
>decryption routine was itself obfuscated with some clever self-modifying
>code, so you couldn't just dump the raw code and (U)nassemble it

I'd have to go through my very very musty notes, but someone sent me a KQ 2
disk with an "I bet you can't crack this one".  It was very clever, even
with the INT 3 vector being clobbered, so you couldn't breakpoin it.
However, most things will yield to interpretive execution or an ICE box.  I
used the former, but the latter would have been easier.

P.S.  I did crack it.  (this was before DMCA, so I think it was still legal
back then).

Cheers,
Chuck