"Market" for old macs?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:49:59 CST 2005

On 12/5/05, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:
> >>Funny, mine has a DB9 female connector on it -- what is that?  Serial?  If
> >>serial, then why?  Didn't most ApplePeople use AppleTalk?

The DIN-8 connectors can be used for straight serial, as to a modem,
or for AppleTalk - you can have both on one machine at the same time.
Both serial ports have the same physical layer driver chips, and they
are just the A and B channels of a Z8530 - interchangable.

> It's on an additional bracket (the only expansion slot?)...  Maybe someone added
> it to use an older mouse?  Seems stupid to tie up the only expansion slot with a DB9...

I doubt it's a serial connection - most likely it's for driving an
external mono monitor.

Crack the case and look at the expansion card to be sure.  Radius and
others made video boards for the Mac.

-ethan