sad to report...

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 8 20:10:58 CST 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:05:24 -0500
John Boffemmyer IV <john_boffemmyer_iv at boff-net.dhs.org> wrote:

> my company that i work for has just decommissioned an hp9000
> system  for scrap and 11 dec vt420's circa 1991, unopened, with
> keyboards.  they did not give option on taking them or buying
> them =/ don't you hate it when the bean counters get involved
> because they  think the scrappers will not be jerks and resell
> what they get  instead of doing their jobs and just scrapping it
> and keeping it from  the employees for personal use?
> -John Boffemmyer IV

I watched skids of Sparc hardware go out at a company I worked at
around Y2K in a similar fashion.  They had a 'contract' with the
scrapper, they said, and 'couldn't play favorites'.  There is a
'corporate culture' at some places where you're seen as a lunatic
for even suggesting you might have an interest in 'that old
stuff.'