VS2000 speed (was RE: A Hobbyist DECnet Network)

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Fri Dec 9 12:24:55 CST 2005

> The VS2k is a bare bones uVAX-II cpu and inst very fast but I never
> thought the boot to be unusually slow unless the dianogstic
> were running.

  RD5x drives are painfully slow, and this is especially a problem in the
VS2000 because the integrated disk controller a) lacks DMA, and b) lacks the
T11 chip to do local processing found in a RQDXn - the uVAX CPU has to do
all the work.

  Starting DECwindows, especially, took forever...

  [Also, maybe I can cook dinner faster than you :-)]
Bob