Fwd: unknown data tape

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Dec 11 15:37:37 CST 2005

On 12/11/2005 at 7:14 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:

>Probably the most common was a verstion of the TI Silent 700. It had a
>box fitted on top containing 2 tape drives and a handful of boards of
>logic to control them. You could use them like punches or readers
>(save/load data either locally or to the line, copy data between the 2
>tapes, 1 character at a time I think, etc).

Funny you should mention that.  When I first got my MITS 8800, one of the
first problems was what to do for offline storage.  ASR33's were pretty
expensive, so audio cassette was a natural.  I used the modem board out of
a Silent 700 to work with a cheap audio drive.  It wasn't fast, but it
worked.  I eventually hooked up the recorder's motor control so the 8800
could start and stop the tape.  I recall that BASIC for the system was
furnished on both paper tape and a (white case) audio cassette.  But the
Silent 700 modem did double duty for me--it let me dial into the mainframe
at work as well as record and play back data tapes.

Cheers,
Chuck