CUBIX/6809 updates

Gooijen, Henk henk.gooijen at oce.com
Mon Dec 12 02:53:31 CST 2005

  Hello Dave.

True, I used JavaScript to display the navigation tree at the left side.
But the page describing the home-brew pdp8/e running on 6809 is here:
 www.pdp-11.nl/homebrew/pdp8/pdp8startpage.html

It started with some hardware to connect a (homebrew) console to the
serial port of a computer which runs SIMH. With a few changes in SIMH
you can have bi-directional communication between SIMH and the console
thus give (in this case) the PDP-11 SIMH a "real" console. It does all
that a real console also does, hence the project name "RealConsole".

Also, check out http://www.noicedebugger.com/index.html  if you want to
start on 6809. It gives you an "emulator" on your PC, connected to the
6809 target system. The best part is that especially for the 6809, it's
free!  I asked John, told him what I was doing, and I got a license.
You must put some code on the target simple, but it is fairly simple.

As the "pdp8/e" is built on the 6809, it can of course run 6809 code.
In the SIMH version EPROM is a disassembler and a small BASIC
interpreter,
as there was room left in the EPROM. The IDE interface (with adapter to
put in a CompactFlash Card) is connected to the I/O board, so it is not
fast, but gives mass storage. The IDE routines are of course written in
6809 assembler and not pdp8/e code :-)  So, the low-level access
routines
are there as a layer for an OS, etc.
Implementing a DOS (FAT-12) would make it possible to connect the CF
Card
to a PC and get file transfer that way. Pulling  out the CF Card,
sticking
it in the PC etc. was not my idea, I liked a floppy disk better for this
job, so I ordered 2793's from bgmicro.

Using the pdp8/e design fron panel for the 6809 is possible, but ...
there are only 15 Address LEDs (12 plus 3 for EMA), and the other row is
12 LEDs, so the upper 4 would not be used. The rotary knob could be used
to display A or B (or DP or CC) but to display X, Y, U, SP, PC you need
16 LEDs. There are just 12 switches, and you could use the SW switch as
the 13th, but still, to enter a 16-bit address would be cumbersome.
So, the pdp8/e panel is not the best choice, but the implementation
-hardware wise- is always possible. Software is what makes it 'tick' :-)
and I am sure that's "piece of cake" for you, Dave.

Recenty I won an HP2117 console panel and a full 11/70 panel on eBay,
and
I want to connect those two panels with a Core and I/O Board to SIMH
too.
Then there is the resurrection of all my PDP-11 (real) machines now that
I have finally power in the little museum.
It's clear, I have way to many project going ...
When I pick up the 6809 stuff, I will certainly take a good look at your
code, and mention you on my website.

  thanks for sharing great stuff!

- Henk, PA8PDP.

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
Thank you for your cooperation.