Ee?prom burners [Was: Re: CUBIX/6809 updates]

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Dec 14 07:40:36 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:19 -0700, woodelf wrote:
> Brian Wheeler wrote:
>
> >In college we wire-wrapped a pdp-8.  The final was to repair it in 2
> >hours after the instructor had made several changes to either the wire
> >wrappings, chip orientation (hot chips!) or PAL changes.  The 2nd
> >semester was wire-wrapping a 6809-based FLEX system.
> >

> Was that the CMOS pdp chip or a TTL designed PDP?

We used a TTL chip for the ALU, and the rest of the logic was
implemented using PAL (or PLD, I don't remember) chips.  They're using
FPGAs now: http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/b441/lab/

> >That said, the only thing that's really kept me from building machines
> >(heh, besides time and money!) is the lack of an eprom (or eeprom)
> >burner.
> >
> >What do you guys recommend?  Are there instructions for PC-driven
> >burners online somewhere that seem reasonable?  If not homebuilt, what's
> >a reasonable price for one?
> >

> Use of  a EEPROM may be a better idea as I  think there are low cost designs
> that hang off the printer port to burn a eeprom. I think commercial
> burners  run  at
> $399+  but I can't say for sure.

I was leaning towards eeprom, since it seems like we were forever baking
the logic chips to fix our errors in that class...

Brian