Early 3.5" Floppy Drives

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Thu Dec 15 06:47:00 CST 2005

>Subject: Re: Early 3.5" Floppy Drives
>   From: Chris M <chrism3667 at yahoo.com>
>   Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:16:02 -0800 (PST)
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic Posts Only" <cctech at classiccmp.org>
>

>--- Allison <ajp166 at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

>> also have a two
>> edition article describing what it would take to put
>> MSDOS (V3.3!)
>> on a NON-PC 8088 system.
>
> 3.2 or .3 was available for the NEC APC III and the
>Rainbow (I think). I'm not absolutely sure the NEC
>version was APC III specific, though probably. The APC
>III had a compatibility board called the SLE (Software
>Library Expander). The thing I saw on ebay could have
>been vanilla ms-dos but I kind of doubt it.

Basically MY first comment was if you've the time any format
is possible.

I know for a fact and have seen MSDOS 2.11 running on S100
crates with mixed drives (both 5.25 and 8") using nothing
but serial lines  (no monitors).

Used to be a time where you could buy the programmers kit
and customize MSDOS just like CP/M-80.  Then MS decided
they didn't want that.

Allison