Archiving Software

Sun Dec 18 19:06:28 CST 2005

> der Mouse, there are too many pronouns and not enough attribution for
> me to answer with confidence as I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes, I realize now that the way I wrote it, it reads as though I'm
conflating you with Dave.

I was saying - er, trying to say - that Dave's stance on his source
code has taken him down a few notches in my eyes (not as totally as
Tony's phrasing implies is the case for him, but certainly some).

I was also pointing out, in response to the "until you do it yourself,
you're just posturing" reply, that I have "done it myself" for a lot of
other problems, but not that specific one.

Then I was asking whether that makes me the same kind of poseur that
Tony's remark apparently made him.  In, um, your, I think, eyes.

> Dave, for his own reasons, decided the time isn't right for him to
> release the source code.  Would we be better off if he just sat on it
> until that time?

Would we?  I don't know.  I can see arguments both ways.

But that has little to do with how his doing a binary-only release
affects my opinion of him, or whether my having that reaction means I'm
"just posturing".  As far as I can see, at least.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca