Oldest machine (was: Re: Good haul of old pc stuph)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 18:19:11 CST 2005

> Tony Duell wrote:
> >> One thing I love about my old IBM PC 5150 with ST-225 is that *it is still
> >> running 22 years later*.  I fire it up at least once a week to do some hobby
> >
> > Newcommer :-). My 32-year-old HP9830 still fires up.
>
> That made we wonder... what's the oldest *operational* digital machine owned
> by anyone on this list?  Although I suppose it's hard to define 'machine' -
> something with RAM, I/O in some form, and at least one CPU  (what the heck do
> you call a CPU when it's no longer central?)

Some 'earlies' from my collection :

HP9830 (1973), desktop computer running BASIC from ROM

Philips P850 (1970), minicomputer with core memory

HP9100B (1969) programamble scientific calculator

Casio AL1000 (1967?) very simple progammable calculator

The first 2 use TTL chips, the last 2 are all discretes.