Oldest machine (was: Re: Good haul of old pc stuph)

William Donzelli aw288 at osfn.org
Mon Dec 19 20:56:15 CST 2005

> Does others here also value some of their equipment for the asset
> tags on it?  I have gear from places like the Jet Propulsion
> Laboratory for instance.

It is interesting. Sometimes, with luck, with military
electronics you can get unit or tail numbers off bits and pieces, or
perhaps a previous life on a ship. I have traced some bits and pieces to
Goddard Space Flight (most of their early digital phone system), the
XB-52, battleships Texas, Idaho, and California, aircraft carrier
Forrestal, and a DE called the Loeser.

I also once had a VAX-11/730 with CDC tags - Horrors!

William Donzelli
aw288 at osfn.org